Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Robert Pattinson Interview With Parade.com: 'Kissing Felt More Natural in Eclipse'


Robert Pattinson may not be immortal like sexy vampire Edward Cullen, but he's not going to be forgotten anytime soon. Rabid "Twi-hards" can't wait for The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, the latest big-screen installment of Stephenie Meyer's epic story of vampire love.

This time around, Edward and his beloved Bella, played by Kristen Stewart, get engaged, but pesky werewolf Jacob, played by Taylor Lautner, is getting in the way. Whatever happens, if RPattz can help it, he and Bella are not consummating their love.

Let's hear it for virginity.
"Edward is old fashioned. Nowadays, everyone just goes around screwing everyone for no reason. I guess Edward doesn't really want to sort of cheapen his relationship with Bella, even though she's pushing him to go all the way. He's got this certain idea of how it should go with the love of his life. He wants to do it right and not just follow his base instincts. I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in that way as well."

But that didn't stand in the way of a lot of lip-locking.
"Kissing felt a little bit more natural in Eclipse, even if there was plenty of it. In New Moon and Twilight it was always like, 'Oh, I'm gonna kill you if I kiss you' or something. It was always kind of odd. But, in this one, they both understand their situation a lot more, which makes it easier. It's the first time Kristen and I have been able to just act like a normal couple."

So are they a couple off-screen?
"I guess people like stories, that's my basic conclusion. They just want everything in our lives to be like Twilight. The truth is...that I wish I had a few more hours of sleep today so I could think of a better answer. I'm always so exhausted all the time. Lack of sleep is like taking a Valium."

They have their differences.
"Kristen brings like a lot of herself to Bella, probably more than I do to Edward. She's not the Bella I imagined from reading the books in which she was much more of a damsel in distress. Kristen's quite a lot tougher, which I like. I'm really sort of constantly working to get into my character and it just seems to come much more naturally to Kristen. Her mind works completely differently. She can feel things immediately, and I'm more cerebral."

Has he ever been in competition for a woman he loved?
"I don't compete. I'm not good at doing it. I just kind of leave it alone. I do understand that if you are the one with a girl and someone else is trying to take her away, maybe you're forced into fighting a little bit. Have I ever gotten in a fight with someone for the love of a woman? I have to think. Probably. But I don't know if it was about love or if it was more about pride."

Competing with Taylor Lautner.
"We had a confrontational scene where I sort of push him around a little bit. I thought I'd really scare him and grab him and it would freak him out. So I went to grab his shoulder, but he's so pumped up. It was too big to actually get a grip on. That was kind of embarrassing. I did tease him unmercifully about having to dress up in a little grey spandex wolf suit all the time and try and be intimidating while Kristen was patting him on the head."

Coping with Twi-hards.
"I kind of made the transition in my head of not being freaked out by it. If you're just a normal person walking down the street and everybody starts screaming at you, you'd be like, 'What is going on?' But when it happens so often to you, you kind of actually look at people's faces and see that they're enjoying themselves, and it makes everything so much easier to accept. Everything becomes a lot easier."

Source via Pattinsonlife

No comments: