Wednesday, June 23, 2010

EW Interview Teaser: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson address the 'rape' comment


Entertainment Weekly sat down with Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner for a feature interview running in this week’s magazine to discuss the world they inhabit within the Twilight universe, both on screen and off. In today’s preview, the stars open up about the glare of the media spotlight and how its intrusiveness recently led Stewart to compare it to rape — a comment she has since apologized for.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Do you feel more at peace about being in the spotlight these days?
KRISTEN STEWART: I just feel more comfortable, more myself, and I feel less bare. I feel much more like nobody can take anything from me. Before, I felt literally like my chest was cracked open and people could just reach in and examine and pick at anything they wanted, and it just freaked me right out.

You got a lot of criticism recently for comparing the intrusiveness of the paparazzi to rape. The comment got blown out of proportion very quickly, and you apologized.

STEWART: I’m so sensitive about stuff like that. That is the one subject that means a lot to me. I made one movie directly concerning it [2004's Speak], and I made another one where my character has a horrible history of rape [2010's Welcome to the Rileys]. I talked to a lot of people about it. I used the wrong word. I should have said “violated.” But I’m young and emotional. It’s just the way it goes sometimes. I probably shouldn’t say this, but I just feel like people got so excited once they saw that it was me. It was like, “Sweet! Let’s get her!” And then for the people to exploit it under the guise of being morally upstanding is disgusting — and it embarrassed me because I was a part of it.

Did you see it all unfold and then think, I have to issue an apology?
STEWART: No, I was in Korea when it all got bad. My publicist called me and said RAINN had issued this terrible statement.
ROBERT PATTINSON: Who’s Rain?
STEWART: You know, the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network.
PATTINSON: None of those associations came out and gave a statement [criticizing Kristen] without being called upon by the media first — who were doing it specifically to get hits on their websites. That whole system of Internet journalists, where no one is called to account, is almost entirely about hate. All these people get away with doing it because they have no responsibility to anyone. All they need is to get a salacious headline and people click on it, because it’s easy. And it’s quite good being part of these Twilight films because you have to give so many interviews all the time, you can defend yourself. That’s the only way. All of us stick together, as well. There are so many little nerds behind their computers, on their little blogs.
STEWART: See, if I said that? Crucifixion. You can say so much more than me. It’s insane.
PATTINSON: That’s not true at all. When did I say anything [controversial]?
STEWART: You’re really good, but you could say, “I just took a s***on the Queen’s face,” and people would be like, “Oh, I love him! I love him!”

EW via kstewartnews

12 comments:

Cindygal said...

...thats a really interesting interview and I agree with everything Rob said. It just shows that they're both aware of what's being said about both of them by stupid journalist.

tedgirl said...

Because ... Rob gives positive vibes to his comment, his smiles,laughter and other facial expressions lighten up the mood. He doesn't give a sullen/sour face in making comments. He doesn't flick fingers when annoyed. He shows grace under pressure and not rudeness.

That's true, he doesn't say much controversial stuff except perhaps his v*** comment but that was forgotten... He was questioned but not crucified.

tedgirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tedgirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindygal said...

@Tedgirl ITA...

Cindygal said...

but then again K is still young!

LTavares2011 said...

@Tedgirl
ITA.
Kstew is "so young" and she is "so wronged" (LOL). People "always misunderstand what she says ". (LOL).
She needs to think more before talking and doing things.
Poor Rob, always a gentleman. I love him.

Iluvthemovies said...

Kristen is right on with her comments. If Rob says things he is less critized than she is. On the Oprah show when Oprah asked about their dating status, instead of giving the wonderful reply that he gave in a recent interview, "I do not discuss my personal life, that is private", he said "Kristen is pregnant". Many of the audience members laughed and many on the blogs thought it was funny but right away I could see the uneasiness on Kristen's face because now she had to explain away a comment he made, that Oprah specifically asked Rob because she knew Kristen was very shy. I luv Rob, I think most of the time he is spot on but that comment was so out of line and I said to myself "man up". He is adorable so I think most people forgive his faux pahs but Kristen is looked at as more serious and does not give the cute answers that Rob has mastered recently.

However, I want to say that I luv that Rob defended her in this interview, I do believe our boy is growing up.

With that ladies, I am so excited Eclipse is almost here and I can hardly wait to see the fireworks between these two on screen, especially the leg hitch.

Gisel said...

I love kristen and i LOVE rob.

twilightnan said...

I love Kristen and Rob ,it is good that they are sticking and supporting each other.it must be difficult that you have to be constantly aware of what you're saying all the time..one wrong word or conotations can be taken the wrong way..I admire Kristen for issuing an apology..for using the word 'rape' to describe her experience with the paparazzi/media ppl she said ,she should have used the word 'violated'instead... both are young and learning to cope with this fame,and hopefully both would reach the end of this Twilight saga journey with their dignity intact and to be allowed to have a normal life as possible.I'm sure all their fans would be behind them faithfully!

OCD56 said...

I thought that Kristen's comment at the end of the interview was hilarious. I do think that she is violated! I wish the media would stop harrassing them. I believe the fans love them and would be satisfied with the interviews only. I would. I want them to not be stressed out and just make good movies.

Anonymous said...

Kristen is completely right....